Cymalon Sachets For Cystitis - 6 Sachets
Thornton & Ross
How does it work?
Cymalon sachets contain the active ingredient sodium citrate. They are used to relieve the symptoms of cystitis.
Cystitis is an inflammation of the bladder, which is often caused by infection of the bladder with bacteria. Cystitis is usually accompanied by the desire to pass urine frequently and a burning pain on passing urine.
When there is an infection in the urinary tract, the bacteria in the bladder create an acidic environment that helps them to grow and multiply rapidly. As a result, the urine becomes more acidic, making it very painful to pass urine.
Sodium citrate works by reducing the acidity of the urine. This helps relieve the discomfort of passing urine and also makes the environment in the bladder less suitable for the survival of the infecting bacteria.
The contents of one Cymalon sachet should be taken, dissolved in a glass of cold water, three times a day for two days. You should also try and drink as much water as you can during the treatment, to help flush any bacteria out of your bladder.
What is it used for?
- Relieving the symptoms of cystitis in women.
- If you have any of the following symptoms you should consult a doctor before using this medicine: your urine is darker than normal, cloudy or contains blood; you are feeling generally unwell with shivers and a high temperature (fever); you have severe stomach, groin or back pain; or you have an unusually heavy vaginal discharge.
- You should also consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, on a low salt (sodium) diet, or have kidney disease, heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes.
- Children under 16 years of age and men who are experiencing symptoms of cystitis should consult their doctor before taking this medicine.
- If your symptoms persist despite using Cymalon sachets for two days you should seek medical advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
Not to be used in
- Children under 16 years or men, unless on the advice of a doctor
- Kidney disease, unless on the advice of a doctor
- Heart disease, unless on the advice of a doctor
- High blood pressure (hypertension), unless on the advice of a doctor
- Diabetes, unless on the advice of a doctor
- People on a low salt (sodium) diet, unless on the advice of a doctor
- Pregnancy, unless on the advice of a doctor.
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.
If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.
- This medicine should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding unless considered essential by your doctor. Seek medical advice from your doctor or midwife if you are pregnant or breastfeeding and have symptoms of cystitis.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.
For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How can this medicine affect other medicines?
You should not take this medicine if you are currently taking methenamine (Hiprex).